Choosing Between Pool Finishes
An update to your pool’s finish can visually transform your backyard. Deciding between pool finishes really depends upon your answers to these four questions:
- What color water do you prefer? (For example, tan colored finished create green water.)
- How long do you expect to live in your home? (This may impact your long-term investment choices.)
- How will you use your pool? (This selection impacts the type of finish – some may not be suitable for young children with tender feet.)
- What’s your pool remodeling budget? (The range is quite large for pool remodeling – we want to tailor our suggestions to your needs/wants but stay within a realistic budget.)
The good news is that Gardner Outdoor and Pool Remodeling can help. With our knowledgeable Outdoor Specialists, interactive Pool Finish Selector tool, and three showrooms, you’ll find the perfect pool finish for your remodeling project.
Usage, Chemistry & Maintenance
Pools or spas that are used a great deal (parties, children, grandchildren!) need more chemicals to maintain water chemistry and cleanliness. Chemicals are hard on pool finishes, shortening their expected life. Make this part of your consideration – the more usage, consider finishes like Quartz or Pebble Tec since these are superior finishes that can stand up against pool chemicals better and will typically last longer than, for example, plaster. Plaster is traditionally cement and crushed marble, which is a soft mineral that gives a pool a smooth finish yet, is more vulnerable to chemicals..
How Long Does a Pool Finish Last
All pool finishes have an estimated lifespan; material longevity depends upon usage, sun exposure, regular chemical balancing and pool maintenance. Unless money is no object, your pool remodeling project budget may take into consideration on how long you plan to remain in your home.
To help you invest a reasonable amount into your pool remodeling project, here’s a quick rule of thumb. If you plan to sell within 5 years, consider plaster. If you’ll stay in your home for 15 years or more, choose an aggregate finish that will last longer.
Beauty & Design
Your choice of pool finish, as well as other design elements such as tile and coping, should be planned for utility as well as its appearance.
Imagine what you want to see looking out from your kitchen window or living room. A backyard can be designed as a work of art from every angle, including the views from the interior of your home. Your outdoor design should include such things as a focal point, breaking the backyard into “rooms” and color and finish. A beautifully designed backyard considers the view from an outdoor lounge chair to your favorite living room chair.
Of course, not everyone has the budget to perform a full remodel. We do thousands of simple, straight-forward replasters, too. Even saving the existing waterline tile, when we can.
Pool Finish Selector
Want to play with pool finish possibilities? Try out our innovative Pool Finish Selector to see explore how different pool finishes impact watercolor. You may be surprised. Photos show actual results of pools replastered by Gardner when you combine Finish Type and Color.
Pool Finishes to Match Your Design & Budget
The traditional white cement mixed with crushed marble, finished by trowel to a hard pool finish. For years this has been the favorite pool finish of pool builders and remodelers. With a limited five-year bonding warranty, plaster can last up to 10 years with a proper start-up, maintenance, and chemical balance.
The weak link in this finish is the crushed marble, a soft mineral. That is why it rarely lasts as long as other available pool finishes.
Hydrazzo® was the first polished finish in the industry and set a premium standard in pool finish innovation. The silky smooth texture, combined with the proven durability of exposed aggregates, are two prime features of this state-of-the-art pool finish.
With unique color selections and a natural variegated appearance, Aquavations Hydrazzo complements all poolscape designs. This polished pool surface creates a finish that is naturally resistant to spot etching, topical stains, permanent scale and algae adhesion.
This exposed aggregate finish was developed in Australia and brought to the United States in 1987 by Pebble Technology, Inc. Gardner Outdoor and Pool Remodeling is the only authorized PebbleTec® applicator in San Diego County. We participate in the Pebble Technology, Inc.’s ongoing training program, research and development projects to make PebbleTec® the best pool finish available. With a limited 5-year bonding warranty, this pool finish could last 20 to 25 years.
Click on the sections below to explore the beautiful Pebble Fina, Pebble Sheen, and PebbleTec® pool finishes available.
PebbleFina® pool finish incorporates the ancient Greek and Roman use of pozzolans (a natural compound containing siliceous and aluminous material) into the cement mixture. Pozzolans provide strength and durability for a longer-lasting finish with increased density that resists etching.
- Most colors contain small seashell pieces to further enhance the beauty of the pool interior while adding brilliant sparkle to the water.
- As with PebbleTec® and PebbleSheen® pool finishes, only skilled installers licensed by Pebble Technology, Inc, can apply a PebbleFina® brand pool finish.
A PebbleFina® pool finish will maintain its smooth texture and inviting appearance much longer than traditional plaster.
PebbleSheen® brand pool finish provides the natural beauty and durability of the original PebbleTec® pool finish, along with a sophisticated refined elegance. A colorful mosaic of tiny pebbles is tightly fused together and then lightly buffed to create a luxurious pool surface that is beautiful, strong, and stain resistant. PebbleSheen pool interiors offer a more finely textured feel and have the look of rich granite. This pool finish product provides the flexibility to design a swimming pool that truly reflects your lifestyle.
- Available in 16 distinctively brilliant colors, some incorporated with small seashell pieces to add glitter and sparkle to the finish.
- Utilizing the same proven technology and experience as PebbleTec® pool finishes, only with smaller pebbles.
- As with PebbleTec® and PebbleFina® pool finishes, only skilled installers licensed by Pebble Technology, Inc., can apply a PebbleSheen brand pool finish.
- Taking swimming pool design to new levels of graceful style and art.
PebbleTec® brand pool finish is the original pebble pool finish; it still delivers the enduring natural elegance and durability combined with beauty and exceptional value. Available in 18 attractive colors, our original PebbleTec® pool interior is the perfect choice for individuals desiring a more natural look for their pools, spas or water features.
- Created with pebbles from around the world selected for their color and beauty. All pebbles are mined from the ocean or streams and are therefore naturally tumbled.
- This stain-resistant surface has a natural, non-slip texture that continues to set the industry standard for excellence.
- With a PebbleTec® you receive a dependable, low-maintenance aggregate interior finish.
- Backed by a company renowned for its reputation and customer satisfaction, this pool finish is the best available on the market.
- As with PebbleSheen® and PebbleFina® pool finishes, only skilled installers licensed by Pebble Technology, Inc., can apply a PebbleTec® brand pool finish.
- A PebbleTec® pool finish offers a unique, flexible design that will perfectly blend with landscaping and water features.
With PebbleTec®, you achieve enduring and natural elegance. Enjoy the experience a spectrum of colors as the sunlight plays on the water throughout the day.